CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Saturday, February 21, 2009

" Love is in the moment............"


Love is in the moment..............


It had been a stupendously “bad” day. One thing after another. The downward spiral continued when the large pitcher of orange juice slid from my hands and smashed to the floor. Glass and sticky juice spewed to the farthest corners of the kitchen, slithering down cabinets and appliances, puddling at my feet. Stunned, I looked at the mess. Then I dropped dejectedly down to the floor, my eyes filling with overdue tears. The tears came from begrudging and angry acceptance that “today is just not my day”.


Bad day or not, errands had to be done. Filled with angst and negative mental baggage, I got in my car to drive into town. In the few minutes it took to arrive at the bank I made a decision. I would be careful not to pass my bad day off to anyone else. I would be cordial and polite. And I would NOT retaliate when that fellow driver pulled quickly and rudely in front of me causing me to slam on my breaks, dumping the contents of my drink onto the front car seat!


Standing in line at the bank, I was silently talking to myself. Actually, I was scolding myself. All of the events that had accumulated and contributed to my bad day were, in reality, so very minor and trivial. I was over-reacting. I was indulging in self-pity. I tried to imagine the innumerable, individual lives that had been effected by 911, by the war in Iraq, by the tsunami. For the second time that day my eyes filled with tears as I realized how disconnected I felt from all those individuals who are trying to cope with truly traumatic events in their lives. They all seemed so distant, and this justified and intensified my belief that I was being self-centered and selfish. I was sure that all my efforts to be a caring and loving person were for naught.


A voice broke through my mental distractions. Somehow I had mechanically finished my bank transaction and the teller was trying to get my attention.


“Young lady,” she was saying, “Young lady!” I looked up and into the eyes of the bank teller, a beautiful, grey-haired grandmother. Her eyes reflected concern as she leaned forward and softly said, “I don’t know what is happening inside of you but, please, believe me when I tell you that - everything will be okay!”


And then she did something quite marvelous. My hands were resting on the counter. She took her hands and placed them gently on top of my hands. The touch was quick but electric. And in that moment my world shifted. In the moment of her touch my self-doubt vanished. I found understanding and acceptance. I knew that love was being filtered through the heart of this beautiful woman directly into my heart. I was infused with a profound awareness - that I am loved. I was speechless. I smiled. It was my first smile of the day. But it would not be my last.


The seemingly small gesture of a kind-hearted bank teller changed the course of my day. Perhaps without even knowing it, she allowed herself to be a conduit of divine love. Thus she was instrumental in changing a day that seemed destined to be a day of tears and transforming it into a day of smiles. More people than not scoff at the idea of world peace. Laugh if you wish. As for myself, I believe it is possible to change the world.


One act of kindness at a time. A smile. A handshake. A kind word. A hug. Oh, the power of love!

No comments: